Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Vesti La Giubba - Pagliacci - One of my FAVES




"Vesti la Giubba" is a famous aria from the opera Pagliacciand one of my favorites. It's been used in so many things, I bet everyone's heard it at one time or another.

The above clip is sung by Franco Corelli. He is amazing.

For those who aren't familiar with the opera, this scene is when Canio discovers his wife's infidelity, but must nevertheless prepare for his performance as Pagliaccio the clown because "the show must go on."

Smiling on the outside, crying on the inside.

If you want to jump right to the aria, it starts at 2:43.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Act! While in delirium,
    I no longer know what I say,
    and what I do!
    And yet it's necessary... do it!
    Bah! Are you a man?
    You are a clown!

    Put on your costume and powder your face.
    People pay, and they want to laugh.
    And if Harlequin shall steal your Columbina,
    laugh, clown, and everyone will cheer!
    Turn your distress and tears into jest,
    your pain and sobbing into a funny face – hAh!

    Laugh, clown,
    at your broken love!
    Laugh at the grief that poisons your heart!

    ReplyDelete